Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Inevitable Post: What I Miss and Will Miss

I miss...

my parents.
my friends at Grinnell.
my friends in Indianola.
my Church community.
my cats, Gobo and Wembley.
swing dancing.
long theological conversations that go into the wee hours of the night.
the Grinnell Dining Hall.
sweetcorn and pork chops.
the American healthcare system.
the dull roar that emanates through campus during party evenings.
singing.
advertisements and announcements that I understand.
driving.
taking pictures for the S&B.
the Quad (Cowles version, not South Campus version).
Iowa spring.
low sales tax.
complaining to people how much homework I have.
listening to other people tell me how much homework they have.
playing trombone.
sub-free social events.
showers that don't flood.
dropping in on people unexpectedly.
zany American politics.
barbecue.
my bed.
hugs.

What I will miss...

my host family.
my DIS friends.
my DIS profs (especially Jacob and Christina).
regional trains.
being able to address anyone by their first name.
good pastries.
tea and cookies in the evenings.
a place safe enough that parents can leave their children in front of stores.
traveling all over the place.
kroner (especially coins being worth something).
good, inexpensive wine.
biking to the station.
walking (and getting lost) around the city.
power outlets with a switch.
hygge.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, brother! My lists in your shoes a semester ago wouldn't have looked too different. Though I can't say I ever missed the homework complaints or pork chops, and on the Danmark side I probably would have added skoven (the forest), listening to dansk, and European chocolate.

    ReplyDelete