Monday, February 1, 2010

The Dark Side of Danish Culture: Jante Law

This is a more serious blog post, so don't read this unless right now if you are not up to a deep, cross-cultural experience.

As I have said before, I am taking a course called Danish Language and Culture, and our topics of conversation are self-explanatory. For today's class, we were asked to read a brief article and story that detailed an historic theme throughout Danish culture. Unlike most of my cultural experiences so far, this experience sent a chill down my spine and made me realize my identity as an American. This might be my first ever experience of absolutely clear culture shock.

The concept is Jante Law, and it is one author's codification of a series of themes that is present in all levels of Scandinavian culture. He wrote them as ten negative commandments spoken by the people to the individual, which translate to the following:

1. You shall not believe that you are somebody.
2. You shall not believe that you are worth as much as we are.
3. You shall not believe you are more clever than us.
4. You shall not try to fool yourself by thinking that you are better than us.
5. You shall not believe you know more than us.
6. You shall not believe you are more than us.
7. You shall not believe that you will be good at anything.
8. You shall not laugh at us.
9. You shall not believe that anybody fancies you.
10. You shall not believe that you can teach us anything.

The short story tied to this article was called the Eagle's Flight, where an eagle was born and raised with chickens. One day, he realized that he could fly, and soared to the highest of heights. When being so high up, he got scared and began to return back to the barnyard. However, upon his return, a hunter saw the eagle and shot him dead. The moral: "It avails but little to have come from an eagle's egg, if one is raised in the poultry yard."

This general theme of "Don't be different" has had an impact on all levels of Danish life throughout history. It has caused many Danish communities to discourage individual achievement in favor of offering recognition and opportunities equally across all members of the community. My language professor recalls a time when she was told that she was not considered for an award back in high school because her grades were too good. This tendency has discouraged much of the general populace from attempting to realize their full potential, many talented and dedicated students being held back academically in order to ensure equal achievement throughout the group. As such, there have historically been no honors classes in Denmark, no honor rolls, little recognition of star athletes or geniuses, and an abundance of genuinely mean-spirited criticism towards those Danes who stand out in a particular field. This aspect of the culture has also contributed to significant brain drain from Denmark, as those who begin to achieve in some prestigious field go elsewhere in order to find fulfillment.

Now, before I discuss this any further, I should interject to say that, today, Jante Law is viewed in a negative light by most Danes, and they are constantly fighting against its persistence in Danish culture. The current Danish queen, Margrethe II, stated recently, "Thou shalt not believe thou art nothing." Famous athletes and authors speak out against it, the most notable figure being handball star Anja Andersen.

The significance for this revelation to me was twofold. Politically, the history of Jante Law explains why Denmark was so receptive to the adoption of a welfare state, where all work for the benefit of all. It explains the public education system, where all schools are essentially equal in prestige, including universities. More insidiously, it also explains the introverted nature of the entire country, its infamous xenophobia, and homogeneity of culture.

Culturally, I now realize that Jante Law is almost the polar opposite of "the American dream" and the image of the "self-made man." As Americans, we focus entirely upon the individual, stressing individual achievement and growth; we invented Facebook and Twitter and pop music to focus attention on ourselves. We live in a meritocracy that focuses on rewarding hard work and punishing blending into the background. This, too, has it serious failings, such as rewarding genetic endowments, dog-eat-dog mentalities, and sheer dumb luck.

At the end of the day, I realize that there are some cultural encounters which will influence the way I view the world; others, however, will instead reveal my own beliefs and, by contrast, bolster what I already believe. Certainly my encounter with Jante Law falls into the second category.

I hope that this post has provided some food for thought. Have a good night.

1 comment:

  1. That's really interesting. I think that I assumed the Jante law to be less harsh (perhaps because nowadays, it is somewhat less powerful, as you mentioned) and instead of being quite disturbed by it, I was happy for a chance to experience the other side of the spectrum. I am still not so sure how I feel about recognizing and rewarding "overachievers" and "geniuses" and such in general; I am quite sure that our society takes it to an unreasonable and unhealthy level (broadly speaking).
    But then, I have a feeling that this is one of those life areas wherein you and I probably fundamentally disagree... I miss you, Aaron!

    ReplyDelete